We'd like to say a big thank you to @readybrekgirl for sharing her delicious Gin and Tonic Lemon and Grapefruit Drizzle Cake recipe with us on Instagram.
If you're looking for something to do over the Easter weekend and fancy giving it a go, she has kindly shared the recipe with us below.
Tag us in your creations at @shetlandreel - we'd love to see them all.
- 3 eggs
- 240g butter at room temperature
- 240g Caster sugar
- 240g Self raising flour
- 2 large lemons
- 200ml Citrus based gin - we recommend Simmer Gin
- 25ml Tonic water
- 130g granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C, 350F or Gas Mark 4. Cream butter and caster sugar together until light, fluffy and pale. Crack in the eggs, and beat until combined. Fold in the flour, then add grated zest of both lemons.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon and 100ml of gin, then pour into a lined 1kg loaf tin. Bake in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven, and set aside while you make the drizzle.
Mix the remaining gin, sugar, tonic water and juice of 1 lemon in a bowl. Leave the cake in the tin and, whilst it’s still warm, prick the surface of the cake all over with a skewer, then poor over the drizzle.
Leave the cake to cool in the tin. It will look a bit messy, but as the drizzle soaks in and the cake cools, the sugar will crystallise to leave a crunchy topping. Decorate with slices of lemon, if you like!
- Enjoy with a large Simmer Gin Perfect Serve